Friday, September 05, 2014

Bob Continues to Dominate on the Trails

NETT's Bob Segal has continued to dominate the 60+ age group in trail races around New England, and he's not shying away from the most challenging of them all.

In early August, Bob took on a New England classic trail race on the Grand Tree circuit. Here's his report: In my first race over 10 miles this season, I survived the 15.2 mile Savoy Mountain race this past Sunday out in western Mass. Although equally unprepared this year as last, I still managed to chop 11 minutes off my time and come in 4th in my age group.

http://www.runwmac.com/gt2014/savoy2014.html

In late August, Bob continued his domination of the North SHore Trail Series at the Beverly Commons Trail Race. As you will see here, Chris, Alison, and Bob each won their age groups in the 7 mile race. See the results here: www.coolrunning.com/results/14/ma/Aug23_Beverl_set4.shtml

And more recently, Bob tackled another New England beast. Here's his report:

On Sunday, I tried the 18 mile Wapack Trail race again, primarily to help get me in shape for the Stone Cat marathon in November. I although I am having a good season racing, only one of my races so far has been over 10 miles (Savoy Mountain 15 miler), so I knew I would not be very competitive. Instead, my goal was to just get in the work, avoid injury, and try to run under 5 hours, to improve on my 5:02 finish in 2012.

MIssion accomplished: Did not fall once and finished in 4:51. Youngstah came in 9th overall!

This is a very tough race. I would say that 85% of the race is technical enough going up and down the 4 mountains that you really can't run fluidly very much at all. In fact, I can think of only one area --- along a logging trail --- where you can actually run normally. Otherwise, it's all mountain goat style. You can see the results and read the write-up from the race directors here:

http://wapack.freeservers.com/custom3_6.html 

Nice work Bob! Way to represent.

No comments: