Thursday, October 15, 2009

The last of my running idols...

We have all had our idols when it comes to sports. Heck, that's part of the fun. When I was a youngster, I idolized hockey players like Terry O'Reilly, Stan Jonathan and..the great...Robert Gordon Orr. Great players, but more importantly, tough players who clearly loved the game more than air and set a good example.

As I got older and into running my idols ran along the same lines--it was guys like Alberto Salazar for his mighty heroics on the Boston course and Bob Kennedy for his refusal to use the excuse that the Kenyans were simply too good.

But as you get older you tend to rely less on idols and more on your own abilities and training. But when it comes to running, I still have one idol that stands head and shoulders above the rest. For his attitude as much as his ability. For being there with a handshake and a smile every time I see him. For turning 80 years young this month and maintaining a racing schedule that would make most of us shudder.

My running idol is.....CLICK HERE to find out who Dave's idol is

No comments: