Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Martin's Mooseman Report


Here is my Mooseman 2011 International Distance race report.

First the pros: It was a beautiful day, cool - water temps high 50s-low 60s. The course was well laid-out and marked - overall, a very professional event.

The cons: It is an Iron Man event so they could care less about the International distance. They still have not posted the results for the race even though using the exact same timing system, they were able to post the results for the 1/2 iron man race as the race was happening. Also, they only worked to accommodate the 1/2 Iron so the bike course was long by 2.5+ miles - that favored the heavy bikers which had me at a bit of a disadvantage.

Overall, I would have to say that it was a good International-distance season opener. The swim went well - I got out of the water 4th in my division - there was a pro that I didn't even see and who beat us all by a lot. I got out of the water right with the next two guys who beat me in the swim and made it out of the transition before them. The bike course was really hilly and I am still a little twitchy on downhills from my incident last summer so I gave up a little time there. Also, it was a long bike course - 27.5+ Miles so all of the heavy bikers got a good advantage out there. Coming out of the bike transition, I passed two people immediately and began hunting down others. The leader was flying as was a guy from the 40+ age group. I was able to hunt down one other runner before the finish to cross the tape 7th.

The IronMan folks still have not posted the international results 3 days after the event - someone literally photographed them and posted them to flickr, which is where I have figured out my overalls. I ended up 10th over all in the swim, 49th overall in the bike and 1st in the run(maybe - I still have not seen them because work blocks flickr). That was good for 2nd in my age group and 13th over all for a time of 2:22. I wish that I would have done a bit better and broken top 10 over all but it was a great race nonetheless.

(Lincoln's Proud of his Dad!)

Here are the "results"

Here is the context:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=3371984;

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats